It has been confirmed that the cause of the death of Amy Winehouse was the amount of alcohol she had consumed prior to her death. It has been reported that Amy Winehouse was five times over the legal drink drive limit and this in turn caused her death.
Suzanne Greenway, the St Pancras coroner, explained, "She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre [of blood] and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death." There were also three empty vodka bottles in her room at the time she was discovered.
It is believed that the amount of alcohol that was found in her body at the time, could have been enough to stop her from breathing and send her into a coma. Amy’s father Mitch said at the time of her death that she had not touch alcohol for three weeks.